- in the manner or style of
- as prepared in (a particular place) or by or for (a particular person)
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- in the manner or style of: a poem à la Byron.
Ala., an abbreviation of:
- Place NamesAlabama.
in the manner of:a short poem à la Ogden Nash.
- prepared in the manner of, to the taste of, or by:chicken à la provençale.
- prepared with the ingredient of. Also, a la.
- French: short for à la mode de in the style of
a•la (ā′lə),USA pronunciation n., pl. a•lae
- Birdsa wing.
- Biologya winglike part, process, or expansion, as of a bone, shell, seed, or stem.
- Botanyeither of the two side petals of a flower in the legume family, as the pea.
- Antiquity, Architecture(in an ancient Roman house) a small room, as an alcove, opening into a larger room or courtyard.
- Latin āla wing, armpit, shoulder, representing *aks-lā, derivative of same base as axis axle (see axis1); see axle
A•la (ä′lä),USA pronunciation n.
- American Library Association.
- Associate in Liberal Arts.
- Authors League of America.
- Automobile Legal Association.