- absent without leave; absent from one's post or duty without official permission but without intending to desert
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Militaryabsent without leave;
away from military duties without permission, but without the intention of deserting.
- Militaryinto AWOL status:He's gone AWOL.
- Militarya soldier who is AWOL.
- Militaryaway from military duties without permission, but without the intention of deserting.
- Militarya soldier or other military person who is absent from duty without leave.
- to depart from military duty without leave.
- to absent oneself without explanation.
- A(bsent) west, western(ith)o(ut) Latin(eave) 1915–20