- a member of an ancient Semitic people who occupied the land of Canaan before the Israelite conquest
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a member of a Semitic people that inhabited parts of ancient Palestine and were conquered by the Israelites and largely absorbed by them.
- a group of Semitic languages, including Hebrew and Phoenician, spoken chiefly in ancient Palestine and Syria.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Canaan, the Canaanites, or the Canaanite group of languages.
- see Canaan, -ite1 1350–1400; Middle English