- Also called: the Goat, Capricornus the tenth sign of the zodiac, symbol ♑, having a cardinal earth classification and ruled by the planet Saturn. The sun is in this sign between about Dec 22 and Jan 19
- tropic of Capricorn ⇒
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Astronomythe Goat, a zodiacal constellation between Sagittarius and Aquarius.
- the tenth sign of the zodiac: the cardinal earth sign. See illus. under zodiac.
- a person born under this sign, usually between December 22nd and January 19th.
- Geography, Place Namestropic of. See under tropic (def. 1a).
- Latin Capricornus (translation of Greek aigókerōs goat-horned), equivalent. to capri- capri- + corn(u) horn + -us adjective, adjectival suffix
- Middle English Capricorne 1350–1400