- enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay: an immunological technique for accurately measuring the amount of a substance, for example in a blood sample
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a female given name, form of Elizabeth.
ELISA (i lī′zə, -sə),USA pronunciation n.
- Medicinea sensitive diagnostic test for past or current exposure to an infectious agent, as the AIDS virus: a sample of blood is added to proteins from the agent, and any antibodies that combine with the proteins, indicating a history of infection, are detected by adding a test antibody linked to an enzyme that causes a color change.
- Medicine[Biol., Med.]any similar test using proteins as a probe for the identification of antibodies or antigens.
- e(nzyme-)l(inked) i(mmuno)s(orbent) a(ssay)