WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
(i liz′ə bē′thən, -beth′ən),USA pronunciation adj.
- World Historyof or pertaining to the reign of Elizabeth I, queen of England, or to her times:Elizabethan diplomacy; Elizabethan music.
- Architecture, World Historynoting or pertaining to an English Renaissance style of architecture of the reign of Elizabeth I characterized by fantastic sculptured or molded ornament of German or Flemish origin, symmetrical layouts, and an emphasis on domestic architecture. Cf. Jacobean (def. 2).
- World Historyan English person who lived during the Elizabethan period, esp. a poet or dramatist.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Elizabethan /ɪˌlɪzəˈbiːθən/ adj
- of, characteristic of, or relating to England or its culture in the age of Elizabeth I or to the United Kingdom or its culture in the age of Elizabeth II
- of, relating to, or designating a style of architecture used in England during the reign of Elizabeth I, characterized by moulded and sculptured ornament based on German and Flemish models
- a person who lived in England during the reign of Elizabeth I
'Elizabethan' also found in these entries: