ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
Greek /grik/USA pronunciation
adj. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
of or relating to the language spoken in Greece.
- of or relating to Greece.
- [countable] a person born or living in Greece.
- [uncountable] the language spoken in ancient or modern Greece.
- something difficult to understand:[uncountable]This contract is Greek to me.
(grēk),USA pronunciation adj.
- Language Varietiesof or pertaining to Greece, the Greeks, or their language.
- Religionpertaining to the Greek Orthodox Church.
- Linguisticsnoting or pertaining to the alphabetical script derived from a Semitic form of writing and employing some letters that originally represented consonants for vowel sounds, which was used from about the beginning of the first millennium b.c. for the writing of Greek, and from which the Latin, Cyrillic, and other alphabets were derived.
- Language Varietiesa native or inhabitant of Greece.
- Language Varietiesthe language of the ancient Greeks and any of the languages that have developed from it, as Hellenistic Greek, Biblical Greek, the Koine, and Modern Greek. Abbr.: Gk, Gk.
- Informal Termsanything unintelligible, as speech, writing, etc.:This contract is Greek to me.
- Religiona member of the Greek Church.
- Language VarietiesHellenic (def. 3).
- a person who belongs to a Greek-letter fraternity or sorority.
- [Archaic.]a cheater, esp. one who cheats at cards: usually considered offensive.
- Greek Graikoí, plural of Graikós Greek
- Latin Graecī the Greeks (nominative plural of Graecus)
- bef. 900; Middle English; Old English Grēcas (plural)
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Greek /ɡriːk/ n
- the official language of Greece, constituting the Hellenic branch of the Indo-European family of languages
See Late Greek, Medieval Greek
- a native or inhabitant of Greece or a descendant of such a native
- a member of the Greek Orthodox Church
- informal anything incomprehensible (esp in the phrase it's (all) Greek to me)
- Greek meets Greek ⇒ equals meet
Etymology: from Old English Grēcas (plural), or Latin Graecus, from Greek GraikosˈGreekness n
- denoting, relating to, or characteristic of Greece, the Greeks, or the Greek language; Hellenic
- of, relating to, or designating the Greek Orthodox Church
'Greek' also found in these entries: