- a language or group of dialects of N central India. It belongs to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family and is closely related to Urdu
See also Hindustani
- a formal literary dialect of this language, the official language of India, usually written in Nagari script
- a person whose native language is Hindi
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Language Varietiesthe most widely spoken of the modern Indic vernaculars, esp. its best-known variety, Western Hindi.
- Language Varietiesa literary language derived from Hindustani, used by Hindus.
- Persian Hinduī
- Hindi, Urdu, equivalent. to Persian Hind, Hindu (compare Sanskrit Sindhu the river Indus; sense extended to "region of the Indus, Sind'') + -ī suffix of appurtenance; replacing Hinduee