WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
I•ra•ni•an /ɪˈreɪniən, ɪˈrɑ-, aɪˈreɪ-/USA pronunciation adj. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
a person born or living in Iran.
- of or relating to Iran.
(i rā′nē ən, i rä′-, ī rā′-), adj.
Language Varietiesa subbranch of the Indo-European family of languages, including esp. Persian, Pashto, Avestan, and Kurdish.
Place Names, Language Varietiesan inhabitant of Iran; Persian.Also,I•ra•ni
(i ran′ē, i rä′nē, ī rā′-)
- Language Varieties, Place Namesof or pertaining to Iran, its inhabitants, or their language.
- Language Varietiesof or pertaining to the Iranian languages.
(for defs. 1, 4).
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Iranian /ɪˈreɪnɪən/ n
- a native, citizen, or inhabitant of Iran
- a branch of the Indo-European family of languages, divided into West Iranian (including Old Persian, Pahlavi, modern Persian, Kurdish, Baluchi, and Tajik) and East Iranian (including Avestan, Sogdian, Pashto, and Ossetic)
- Also: Persian, Farsi the modern Persian language
- relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Iran, its inhabitants, or their language; Persian
- belonging to or relating to the Iranian branch of Indo-European
'Iranian' also found in these entries: