- another name for Jupiter1
- by Jove ⇒ an exclamation of surprise or excitement
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- MythologyJupiter (def. 1).
- [Archaic.]the planet Jupiter.
- Idiomsby Jove! (an exclamation used to emphasize an accompanying remark or to express surprise, approval, etc.):It was a good fight, by Jove!
- Latin Jov- (oblique stem of compound nominative Juppiter father Jove), akin. to deus god; cognate with Greek Zeús (genitive Diós) Zeus
- Middle English 1325–75