- Alex. born 1939, British rugby league player and coach
- Eddie, full name Edward Regan Murphy. born 1951, US film actor and comedian. His films include 48 Hours (1982), Beverly Hills Cop (1984), Coming to America (1988), and Dr Dolittle (1998)
- William Parry. 1892–1987, US physician: with G. R. Minot, he discovered the liver treatment for anaemia and they shared, with G. H. Whipple, the Nobel prize for physiology or medicine in 1934
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Foodan Irish or white potato.
- any of various confidence games in which a victim is left with a sealed envelope supposedly containing money, but which contains only newspaper or scrap paper cut to the same size as paper money.
- to victimize or dupe in such a manner.
- special uses of Murphy, a typical Irish surname 1805–15
Mur•phy (mûr′fē),USA pronunciation n.
- BiographicalFrank, 1890–1949, U.S. statesman and jurist: associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1940–49.
- BiographicalIsaac, 1861–96, U.S. thoroughbred racehorse jockey.
- a dialect or informal word for potato