- a staging of the modern Olympic Games
- the four-year period between consecutive celebrations of the Olympic Games; a unit of ancient Greek chronology dating back to 776 bc
- an international contest in chess, bridge, etc
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a period of four years reckoned from one celebration of the Olympic Games to the next, by which the Greeks computed time from 776b.c.
- Sporta celebration of the modern Olympic Games.
- Greek Olympiás noun, nominal use of the adjective, adjectival: of Olympus. See Olympia, -ad1
- Latin Olympiad-, stem of Olympias
- Middle English 1350–1400