- the Oval ⇒ a cricket ground in south London, in the borough of Lambeth
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Mathematicshaving the general form or outline of an egg;
- Mathematicsshaped like a flattened circle.
- Mathematicssomething oval in shape or outline, such as a field on which an oval track is laid out for athletic contests.
- Mathematicshaving the general form, shape, or outline of an egg;
- Mathematicsellipsoidal or elliptical.
- Mathematicsan object of oval shape.
- Mathematicsa body or plane figure that is oval in shape or outline.
- an elliptical field or a field on which an elliptical track is laid out, as for athletic contests.
- Informal Termsa football.
- Neo-Latin ōvālis, equivalent. to Latin ōv(um) egg1 + -ālis -al1
- having the shape of an ellipse or ellipsoid
- anything that is oval in shape, such as a sports ground
ˈovally adv ˈovalness, ovality /əʊˈvælɪtɪ/ n