ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
(plī′stə sēn′),USA pronunciation [Geol.]adj.
- Geologynoting or pertaining to the epoch forming the earlier half of the Quaternary Period, beginning about two million years ago and ending 10,000 years ago, characterized by widespread glacial ice and the advent of modern humans. See table under geologic time.
- Geologythe Pleistocene Epoch or Series.
- Greek pleîsto(s) most (superlative of polýs much) + -cene
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Pleistocene /ˈplaɪstəˌsiːn/ adj
- of, denoting, or formed in the first epoch of the Quaternary period, which lasted for about 1 600 000 years. It was characterized by extensive glaciations of the N hemisphere and the evolutionary development of man
Etymology: 19th Century: from Greek pleistos most + kainos recent
- the Pleistocene ⇒ the Pleistocene epoch or rock series
'Pleistocene' also found in these entries: