WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
Por•tu•guese /ˌpɔrtʃəˈgiz, -ˈgis, pɔrtʃəˌgiz, -ˌgis/USA pronunciation adj., n., pl. -guese.
adj. of or relating to Portugal.
- of or relating to the language spoken in Portugal.
- [countable] a person born or living in Portugal.
- [uncountable] the language spoken in Portugal.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Portuguese /ˌpɔːtjʊˈɡiːz/ n
- the official language of Portugal, its overseas territories, and Brazil: the native language of approximately 110 million people. It belongs to the Romance group of the Indo-European family and is derived from the Galician dialect of Vulgar Latin
- ( pl -guese) a native, citizen, or inhabitant of Portugal
- relating to, denoting, or characteristic of Portugal, its inhabitants, or their language
'Portuguese' also found in these entries:
In the English description: