- a paramilitary organization within the Nazi party that provided Hitler's bodyguard, security forces including the Gestapo, concentration camp guards, and a corp of combat troops (the Waffen-SS) in World War II
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- Governmentsocial security.
- Naval Termssteamship.
S.S., an abbreviation of:
- Nautical, Naval Termssteamship.
namely (used esp. on legal documents, as an affidavit, pleading, etc., to verify the place of action).
- ( pl SS) Saint
- second (of time)
- the 19th letter and 15th consonant of the modern English alphabet
- a speech sound represented by this letter, usually an alveolar fricative, either voiceless, as in sit, or voiced, as in dogs
- something shaped like an S
- (in combination): an S-bend in a road