ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
an abbreviation of:WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
an abbreviation of:
- Governmentsocial security.
- Naval Termssteamship.
- Nautical, Naval Termssteamship.
Drugs(in prescriptions) a half.Also,ss.
Etymology: Latin sēmis
Etymology: Latin sānctī
See ss. (def. 1).
namely (used esp. on legal documents, as an affidavit, pleading, etc., to verify the place of action).
Etymology: Latin scīlicet
Drugs(in prescriptions) in the strict sense.
Etymology: Latin sēnsū strictō
Nautical, Naval Termssteamship.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
SS abbreviation for
Etymology: (sense 1) German Schutzstaffel protection squad
- a paramilitary organization within the Nazi party that provided Hitler's bodyguard, security forces including the Gestapo, concentration camp guards, and a corp of combat troops (the Waffen-SS) in World War II
S. abbreviation for
Etymology: Latin socius
- ( pl SS) Saint
s symbol for
- second (of time)
s, S /ɛs/ n ( pl s's, S's, Ss)
- the 19th letter and 15th consonant of the modern English alphabet
- a speech sound represented by this letter, usually an alveolar fricative, either voiceless, as in sit, or voiced, as in dogs
- something shaped like an S
- (in combination): an S-bend in a road
'SS' also found in these entries: