- the hymn that occurs immediately after the preface in the celebration of the Eucharist
- a musical setting of this, usually incorporated into the Ordinary of the Roman Catholic Mass
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Music and Dance, Religion(italics) Also called Tersanctus. the hymn beginning "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of hosts,'' with which the Eucharistic preface culminates.
- Music and Dancea musical setting for this hymn.
- Latin sānctus holy, hallowed (past participle of sancīre to hallow), the first word of the hymn