ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
(sin′hə lēz′, -lēs′), adj., n., pl. -lese for 2.
- Language Varieties, Place Namesof or pertaining to Sri Lanka, its native people, or their language.
- Language Varietiesa member of the Sinhalese people.
- Language Varietiesan Indic language that is the language of the majority of the population of Sri Lanka, including Colombo. Also,Singhalese.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
Sinhalese /ˌsɪnhəˈliːz/, Singhalese, Sinhala n
- ( -leses, -lese) a member of a people living chiefly in Sri Lanka, where they constitute the majority of the population
- the language of this people, belonging to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family: the official language of Sri Lanka. It is written in a script of Indian origin
- of or relating to this people or their language
'Sinhala' also found in these entries: