- a person or thing that survives, such as a custom
- the act or fact of surviving or condition of having survived
- (as modifier): survival kit
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- [uncountable] the act or fact of surviving:survival of the fittest.
- the act or fact of surviving, esp. under adverse or unusual circumstances.
- a person or thing that survives or endures, esp. an ancient custom, observance, belief, or the like.
- Anthropology(no longer in technical use) the persistence of a cultural trait, practice, or the like long after it has lost its original meaning or usefulness.
- of, pertaining to, or for use in surviving, esp. under adverse or unusual circumstances:survival techniques.
- survive + -al2 1590–1600