- systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve some goal
- the act of terrorizing
- the state of being terrorized
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Governmentthe use of violence and threats to frighten and force one's will on another, esp. for political purposes.
- Governmentthe use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
- Governmentthe state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
- Governmenta terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.
- terror + -ism 1785–95