- to make or become less in amount, intensity, degree, etc
- (transitive) to remove, suppress, or terminate (a nuisance)
- to suspend or extinguish (a claim or action)
- to annul (a writ)
- (intransitive) (of a writ, legal action, etc) to become null and void
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- [~ + object] to reduce in amount, degree, intensity, etc.;
diminish: to abate a tax.
- [no object] to diminish in amount, degree, or intensity:The hurricane has abated. Her fears have abated somewhat.