- the process of scraping or wearing down by friction
- a scraped area or spot; graze
- the effect of mechanical erosion of rock, esp a river bed, by rock fragments scratching and scraping it; wearing down
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- Pathology[uncountable] the act or process of abrading.
- a scraped spot or area:[countable]They found many abrasions on his leg.
- Pathologya scraped spot or area;
the result of rubbing or abrading:abrasions on his leg caused by falling on the gravel.
- the act or process of abrading.
- Medieval Latin abrāsiōn- (stem of abrāsiō), equivalent. to abrās(us) scraped off (past participle of abrādere; see abrade) + -iōn- -ion
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged sore, scrape, lesion.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged rubbing, erosion.