- a shortened version of a written work
- the act of abridging or state of being abridged
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a shortened or condensed form of a book, speech, etc., that still retains the basic contents:an abridgment of Tolstoy'sWar and Peace.
- the act or process of abridging.
- the state of being abridged.
- reduction or curtailment:abridgment of civil rights.
- Middle French abregement. See abridge, -ment
- late Middle English abreg(g)ement, abrygement 1400–50
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged digest, epitome;
compendium, synopsis, abstract, summary, précis, conspectus;
syllabus, brief, outline.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged reduction, shortening, contraction, compression.
- 1, 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged expansion, enlargement.