- a shortened version of a written work
- the act of abridging or state of being abridged
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- a shortened or condensed form of a book, speech, etc., that still retains the basic contents:an abridgment of Tolstoy'sWar and Peace.
- the act or process of abridging.
- the state of being abridged.
- reduction or curtailment:abridgment of civil rights.
- Middle French abregement. See abridge, -ment
- late Middle English abreg(g)ement, abrygement 1400–50
compendium, synopsis, abstract, summary, précis, conspectus;
syllabus, brief, outline. 2 . reduction, shortening, contraction, compression. 1, 2 . expansion, enlargement.