- a copious supply; great amount
- fullness or benevolence: from the abundance of my heart
- degree of plentifulness
Also called: abondance a call in solo whist undertaking to make nine tricks
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- a great amount or quantity of: [countable; usually singular]has an abundance of natural resources.[uncountable]has resources in abundance.
- an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply:an abundance of grain.
- overflowing fullness:abundance of the heart.
wealth:the enjoyment of abundance.
- Physics, Chemistrythe number of atoms of one isotope of an element divided by the total number of atoms in a mixture of the isotopes.
- Latin abundantia. See abundant, -ance
- Middle French
- Middle English 1300–50
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged copiousness, plenteousness. See plenty.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged generosity.
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged scarcity.