- the act of acquiring or gaining possession
- something acquired
- a person or thing of special merit added to a group
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- [uncountable] the act of acquiring.
- something acquired[countable]His latest acquisition was a new car.
- the act of acquiring or gaining possession:the acquisition of real eatate.
- something acquired; addition:a recent acquisition to the museum.
- Linguistics[Ling.]the act or process of achieving mastery of a language or a linguistic rule or element:child language acquisition; second language acquisition.
- Latin acquīsītiōn- (stem of acquīsītiō), equivalent. to acquīsīt(us), past participle of acquīrere to acquire + -iōn- -ion
- Middle English adquisicioun, a(c)quisicion 1375–1425