- having the nasal tones or impaired breathing of one with enlarged adenoids
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
- Anatomyof or pertaining to the adenoids;
- Anatomyhaving the adenoids enlarged, esp. to a degree that interferes with normal breathing.
- being characteristically pinched and nasal in tone quality:a high-pitched, adenoidal voice.
adenoid + -al1]
- AnatomyUsually, adenoids. [plural] growths of soft tissue in the nasal passage above the throat.
- AnatomyUsually,adenoids. an enlarged mass of lymphoid tissue in the upper pharynx, often obstructing breathing through the nasal passages. See diag. under tonsil.
- Anatomyof or pertaining to the lymph glands.
- of or pertaining to the adenoids.
- Greek adenoeidé̄s. See aden-, -oid