WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2019
(aj′ə vənt),USA pronunciation adj.
- serving to help or assist;
- Medicineutilizing drugs, radiation therapy, or other means of supplemental treatment following cancer surgery.
- a person or thing that aids or helps.
- Medicineanything that aids in removing or preventing a disease, esp. a substance added to a prescription to aid the effect of the main ingredient.
- Immunologya substance admixed with an immunogen in order to elicit a more marked immune response.
- Latin adjuvant- (stem of adjuvāns, present participle of adjuvāre), equivalent. to ad- ad- + juv- (stem of juvāre to help) + -ant- -ant
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
adjuvant /ˈædʒəvənt/ adj
- aiding or assisting
Etymology: 17th Century: from Latin adjuvāns, present participle of adjuvāre, from juvāre to help
- something that aids or assists; auxiliary
'adjuvant' also found in these entries: