- signs or results of an event or occurrence considered collectively, esp of a catastrophe or disaster: the aftermath of war
- a second mowing or crop of grass from land that has already yielded one crop earlier in the same year
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- something that follows from an event:in the aftermath of the war.
- something that results or follows from an event, esp. one of a disastrous or unfortunate nature;
consequence:the aftermath of war; the aftermath of the flood.
- a new growth of grass following one or more mowings, which may be grazed, mowed, or plowed under.
after + math a mowing, Old English mǣth;
cognate with Old High German mād (German Mahd);
akin to mow1