- any hystricomorph rodent of the genus Dasyprocta, of Central and South America and the Caribbean: family Dasyproctidae. Agoutis are agile and long-legged, with hooflike claws, and are valued for their meat
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Mammalsany of several short-haired, short-eared, rabbitlike rodents of the genus Dasyprocta, of South and Central America and the West Indies, destructive to sugar cane.
- Zoologyan irregularly barred pattern of the fur of certain rodents.
- Mammalsan animal having fur of this pattern.
- Tupian agutí, agoutí, acutí
- Spanish agutí