- conveyed by or through the air
- (of aircraft) flying; in the air
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- carried by the air:airborne pollution.
- in flight; aloft[be + ~]The plane was soon airborne.
- carried by the air, as pollen or dust.
- in flight;
aloft:The plane was airborne by six o'clock.
- [Mil.](of ground forces) carried in airplanes or gliders:airborne infantry.
- [Aeron.](of an aircraft) supported entirely by the atmosphere;
- air1 + borne 1635–45