- the first movement of the classical suite, composed in a moderate tempo in a time signature of four-four
- any of several German dances
- a figure in country dancing or square dancing by means of which couples change position in the set
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
n., pl. -mandes
(-mandz′, -mändz′, -mandz′, -mändz′; Fr. -mänd′).
- Music and Dancea 17th- and 18th-century dance in slow duple time.
- Music and Dancea piece of music based on its rhythm, often following the prelude in the classical suite.
- Music and Dancea figure performed in a quadrille.
- Music and Dancea German folk dance in triple meter, similar to the ländler.
- French, short for danse allemande German dance