WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Governmenta diplomatic official of the highest rank, sent by one country to live in another as its representative.
- Governmentan unofficial representative:a good-will ambassador.
- Governmenta diplomatic official of the highest rank, sent by one sovereign or state to another as its resident representative(ambas′sador extraor′dinary and plenipoten′tiary).
- Governmenta diplomatic official of the highest rank sent by a government to represent it on a temporary mission, as for negotiating a treaty.
- Governmenta diplomatic official serving as permanent head of a country's mission to the United Nations or some other international organization.
- Governmentan authorized messenger or representative. Abbr.: Amb., amb.
- Latin -ātōrem accusative of -ātor -ator
- Italian ambassatore, dialect, dialectal Italian ambassadore, equivalent. to ambass- (see embassy) -atore, -adore
- Anglo-French ambassateur, ambassaduer
- 1325–75; Middle English am-, embass(i)adour, imbassadore