- lineage or descent, esp when ancient, noble, or distinguished
- ancestors collectively
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
- the group of people from whom someone descended[countable, usually singular]had an ancestry of Puritan settlers.
- line of descent; lineage[uncountable]of Chinese ancestry.
n., pl. -tries.
- family or ancestral descent;
- honorable or distinguished descent:famous by title and ancestry.
- a series of ancestors:His ancestry settled Utah.
- the inception or origin of a phenomenon, object, idea, or style.
- the history or developmental process of a phenomenon, object, idea, or style.
Middle English, equivalent. to ancestre ancestor + -y3;
replacing Middle English aunce(s)trie