- (in South Africa) the official government policy of racial segregation; officially renounced in 1992
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Governmentin the Republic of South Africa, a former policy of keeping people of different races apart by law.
- any similar system of segregation.
- Government(in the Republic of South Africa) a rigid policy of segregation of the nonwhite population.
- any system or practice that separates people according to race, caste, etc.
- Afrikaans, equivalent. to apart apart + -heid -hood