- absence of interest in or enthusiasm for things generally considered interesting or moving
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- lack of interest in or concern for things;
- absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement.
- lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting.
- Greek apátheia insensibility to suffering, equivalent. to apathe- (stem of apathé̄s) unfeeling (a- a-6 + pathe-, variant stem of páthos pathos) + -ia -ia
- Latin apathīa
- ( 1595–1605
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged coolness.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged See indifference.
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged ardor, fervor.