- abandonment of one's religious faith, party, a cause, etc
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- abandonment of one's religious faith or of something that one was once loyal to, as a political party.
- a total desertion of or departure from one's religion, principles, party, cause, etc.
- Greek: a standing away, withdrawing, equivalent. to apóstas(is) (apo- apo- + sta- stand + -sis -sis) + -ia -ia
- Late Latin apostasia
- Middle English apostasye ( 1350–1400