- to indicate approval of (a person, performance, etc) by clapping the hands
- (usually tr) to offer or express approval or praise of (an action, person, or thing): I applaud your decision
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- to clap the hands together in approval or appreciation (of): [no object]The audience applauded wildly.[~ + object]They applauded her performance.
- [~ + object] to express approval of;
praise: We applauded their decision.
- to clap the hands as an expression of approval, appreciation, acclamation, etc.:They applauded wildly at the end of the opera.
- to express approval;
- to clap the hands so as to show approval, appreciation, etc., of:to applaud an actor; to applaud a speech.
- to praise or express approval of:to applaud a person's ambition.
- Latin applaudere, equivalent. to ap- ap-1 + plaudere to clap the hands