- fear or anxiety over what may happen
- the act of capturing or arresting
- the faculty of comprehending; understanding
- a notion or conception
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- suspicion or fear of future trouble;
foreboding: [countable]had apprehensions about the upcoming meeting.[uncountable]I was filled with apprehension.
- [uncountable] ability to understand:her apprehension of the dangerous situation.
- [uncountable] the act of arresting; seizure:prompt apprehension of criminals. See -prehend-.