- perfect or typical as a specimen of something
- being an original model or pattern or a prototype
- of or relating to Jungian archetypes
- constantly recurring as a symbol or motif in literature, painting, etc
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- being an archetype.
- the original model from which all things of the same kind are copied.
- the best or most complete example of something.
- the original pattern or model from which all things of the same kind are copied or on which they are based; a model or first form;
- Psychology(in Jungian psychology) a collectively inherited unconscious idea, pattern of thought, image, etc., universally present in individual psyches.
- Greek archétypon a model, pattern (neuter of archétypos of the first mold, equivalent. to arche- arche- + týp(os) mold, type + -os adjective, adjectival suffix)
- Latin archetypum an original