- to come into being; originate
- (followed by from) to spring or proceed as a consequence; result: guilt arising from my actions
- to get or stand up, as from a sitting, kneeling, or lying position
- to come into notice
- to move upwards; ascend
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2014
- /əˈrɪzən/USA pronunciation a•ris•ing.
- to get up from sitting, lying, or kneeling;
rise: He arose from his chair.
- to awaken;
wake up:She arose at 6 a.m.
- to move upward; ascend:Smoke arose from the chimney.
- to appear;
result:Problems arise daily.[~ + from + object]What consequences will arise from this?