- the largest administrative subdivision of a department
- a municipal district of certain cities, esp Paris
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
n., pl. -ments
- (-mənts; Fr. -män′).
- Governmentthe largest administrative division of a French department, comprising a number of cantons.
- Governmentan administrative district of certain large cities in France.
- French, equivalent. to arrondiss- (variant stem of arrondir to round out; see a-5, round) + -ment -ment