WordReference can't find this exact phrase, but click on each word to see its meaning:
We could not find the full phrase you were looking for.
The entry for "artificial" is displayed below.
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
ar•ti•fi•cial /ˌɑrtəˈfɪʃəl/USA pronunciation
adj. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2017
ar•ti•fi•ci•al•i•ty /ˌɑrtəˌfɪʃiˈælɪti/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]
- made by human skill; not natural:an artificial satellite.
- Jewelry, imitation;
not real: artificial vanilla flavoring.
- lacking naturalness;
forced:an artificial smile.
(är′tə fish′əl),USA pronunciation adj.
- made by human skill;
produced by humans (opposed to natural):artificial flowers.
sham:artificial vanilla flavoring.
- lacking naturalness or spontaneity;
feigned:an artificial smile.
- full of affectation;
stilted:artificial manners; artificial speech.
- made without regard to the particular needs of a situation, person, etc.;
unnatural:artificial rules for dormitory residents.
- Biologybased on arbitrary, superficial characteristics rather than natural, organic relationships:an artificial system of classification.
- Jewelrymanufactured to resemble a natural gem, in chemical composition or appearance. Cf. assembled, imitation (def. 11), synthetic (def. 6).
- Latin artificiālis contrived by art; see artifice, -al1
- Middle English 1350–1400
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged synthetic.
- 2, 3.See corresponding entry in Unabridged counterfeit, factitious.
- 4.See corresponding entry in Unabridged pretentious.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged genuine, real.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
artificial /ˌɑːtɪˈfɪʃəl/ adj
Etymology: 14th Century: from Latin artificiālis belonging to art, from artificium skill, artificeartificiality /ˌɑːtɪˌfɪʃɪˈælɪtɪ/ n ˌartiˈficially adv
- produced by man; not occurring naturally: artificial materials of great strength
- made in imitation of a natural product, esp as a substitute; not genuine: artificial cream
- pretended; assumed; insincere: an artificial manner
- lacking in spontaneity; affected: an artificial laugh
- relating to superficial characteristics not based on the interrelationships of organisms: an artificial classification