WordReference can't find this exact phrase, but click on each word to see its meaning:
ⓘ One or more forum threads is an exact match of your searched term. Click here
We could not find the full phrase you were looking for.
The entry for "artificial" is displayed below.
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2016
ar•ti•fi•cial /ˌɑrtəˈfɪʃəl/USA pronunciation
adj. WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
ar•ti•fi•ci•al•i•ty /ˌɑrtəˌfɪʃiˈælɪti/USA pronunciation n. [uncountable]
- made by human skill; not natural:an artificial satellite.
- Jewelry, imitation;
not real: artificial vanilla flavoring.
- lacking naturalness;
forced:an artificial smile.
(är′tə fish′əl),USA pronunciation adj.
- made by human skill;
produced by humans (opposed to natural):artificial flowers.
sham:artificial vanilla flavoring.
- lacking naturalness or spontaneity;
feigned:an artificial smile.
- full of affectation;
stilted:artificial manners; artificial speech.
- made without regard to the particular needs of a situation, person, etc.;
unnatural:artificial rules for dormitory residents.
- Biologybased on arbitrary, superficial characteristics rather than natural, organic relationships:an artificial system of classification.
- Jewelrymanufactured to resemble a natural gem, in chemical composition or appearance. Cf. assembled, imitation (def. 11), synthetic (def. 6).
- Latin artificiālis contrived by art; see artifice, -al1
- Middle English 1350–1400
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged synthetic.
- 2, 3.See corresponding entry in Unabridged counterfeit, factitious.
- 4.See corresponding entry in Unabridged pretentious.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged genuine, real.
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
artificial /ˌɑːtɪˈfɪʃəl/ adj
Etymology: 14th Century: from Latin artificiālis belonging to art, from artificium skill, artificeartificiality /ˌɑːtɪˌfɪʃɪˈælɪtɪ/ n ˌartiˈficially adv
- produced by man; not occurring naturally: artificial materials of great strength
- made in imitation of a natural product, esp as a substitute; not genuine: artificial cream
- pretended; assumed; insincere: an artificial manner
- lacking in spontaneity; affected: an artificial laugh
- relating to superficial characteristics not based on the interrelationships of organisms: an artificial classification