- drained of colour; pallid
- consisting of or resembling ashes
- of a pale greyish colour
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
extremely pale:His face turned ashen with fear.
- extremely pale;
drained of color;
pallid:His face was ashen.
- consisting of ashes.
- 1350–1400; Middle English; see ash1, -en2
- 1.See corresponding entry in Unabridged . ashy.
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged . pasty, colorless.
ash•en2 (ash′ən),USA pronunciation adj.
- Plant Biologypertaining to the ash tree or its timber.
- made of wood from the ash tree.
- bef. 1000; Middle English, Old English; see ash2, -en2
- of, relating to, or made from the ash tree or its timber