- a person who assists, esp in a subordinate position
- (as modifier): assistant manager
- See shop assistant
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- a person who assists;
helper:was an assistant to the manager.
adj. [before a noun]
- serving in a subordinate position:an assistant secretary.
- a person who assists or gives aid and support;
- a person who is subordinate to another in rank, function, etc.;
one holding a secondary rank in an office or post:He was assistant to the office manager.
- something that aids and supplements another.
- Educationa faculty member of a college or university who ranks below an instructor and whose responsibilities usually include grading papers, supervising laboratories, and assisting in teaching.
- serving in an immediately subordinate position;
of secondary rank:an assistant coach.
- Latin assistent- (stem of assistēns, present participle of assistere to assist); see -ent, -ant
- late Middle English assistent 1400–50
- 2.See corresponding entry in Unabridged aide, adjutant.