- relating to, proceeding from, consisting of, or resembling the stars
- denoting or relating to a supposed supersensible substance believed to form the material of a second body for each person, taking the form of an aura discernible to certain gifted individuals
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Astronomyof, concerning, or resembling stars:astral bodies.
- Astronomypertaining to or proceeding from the stars;
- Biologypertaining to, consisting of, or resembling an aster;
having a discoid, radiate flower head.
- [Theosophy.]noting a supersensible substance pervading all space and forming the substance of a second body(astral body) belonging to each individual. It accompanies the individual through life, is able to leave the human body at will, and survives the individual after death.
- Greek ástron) + -ālis -al1
- Late Latin astrālis, equivalent. to Latin ast(rum) star (
- Middle French)
- ( 1595–1605