- to separate or be separated into free atoms
- to reduce (a liquid or solid) to fine particles or spray or (of a liquid or solid) to be reduced in this way
- (transitive) to destroy by weapons, esp nuclear weapons
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
- Hydraulicsto reduce (a liquid) to fine particles or spray:to atomize a perfume.
- to destroy (a target) with nuclear weapons.
- to split or divide (a group) into many sections, parts, or pieces.
- Physicsto reduce to atoms.
- Hydraulicsto reduce to fine particles or spray.
- to destroy (a target) by bombing, esp. with an atomic bomb.
- to split into many sections, groups, factions, etc.;
fragmentize:Critics say the group has atomized around several leaders.
- atom + -ize 1670–80