- satisfaction, reparation, or expiation given for an injury or wrong
- (often capital) the reconciliation of man with God through the life, sufferings, and sacrificial death of Christ
- the sufferings and death of Christ
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2015
- an act or instance of atoning:atonement for murder.
- Religion[sometimes: the Atonement] the Christian doctrine that God and humankind were reconciled by the suffering of Christ.
- satisfaction or reparation for a wrong or injury;
- (sometimes cap.)[Theol.]the doctrine concerning the reconciliation of God and humankind, esp. as accomplished through the life, suffering, and death of Christ.
- [Christian Science.]the experience of humankind's unity with God exemplified by Jesus Christ.
from phrase at one in harmony + -ment, as translation of Medieval Latin adūnāmentum;
compare Middle English onement unity