- the use of methods for controlling industrial processes automatically, esp by electronically controlled systems, often reducing manpower
- the extent to which a process is so controlled
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
- the technique, method, or system of operating or controlling a process by highly automatic means, as by electronic devices, reducing human intervention to a minimum.
- a mechanical device, operated electronically, that functions automatically, without continuous input from an operator.
- act or process of automating.
- the state of being automated.
- autom(atic oper)ation 1945–50
to use machines instead of people to do the work of (a mechanical process, etc.); apply the principles of automation to: [~ + object]We need to automate those procedures.[no object]The investors want us to automate.