- in an unpleasant, bad, or reprehensible manner
- informal (intensifier): I'm awfully keen to come
- archaic so as to express or inspire awe
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2017
extremely:It's awfully hot in here.
- in a very bad manner:The chorus sang awfully.
extremely:That was awfully nice of you. He's awfully slow.
- in a manner provoking censure, disapproval, or the like:She behaved awfully all evening.
- in a manner inspiring awe:shouting awfully the dreaded curse.
- in a manner expressing awe:to stare awfully.
- 1350–1400; Middle English auefulli; see awful, -ly
- See awful.