- Also called: back crawl a stroke performed on the back, using backward circular strokes of each arm alternately and flipper movements of the feet
WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
- [countable] a backhanded stroke.
- Sport[uncountable] a swimming stroke performed lying on one's back.
- a backhanded stroke.
- Sport[Swimming.]a stroke made while on one's back.
- a blow or stroke in return;
- Sport[Swimming.]to swim the backstroke:She backstroked across the pool.
- back2 + stroke1 1665–75